Since 2007 Editor-in-Chief, Carbon & Climate Law Review (CCLR) (ISSN: 1864-9904; Berlin: Lexxion)
2007 Executive Editor, Journal for European Environmental & Planning Law (JEEPL) (ISSN: 1613-7272; Leiden: Brill Nijhoff)
2001-2003 Editor, Finnish Yearbook of International Law (FYBIL) (ISSN: 0786-6453; Leiden: Brill Nijhoff)
Climate and Development; Climate Policy; Energy & Environment; Environmental Economics and Policy Studies; International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics; Greenhouse Gas Measurement & Management; International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making; Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change; Oxford Journal of World Energy Law & Business; Review of European Community and International Environmental Law; Sustainability; and WIREs Climate Change.
Monographs and Edited Volumes
- (ed.) Climate Change and the Law. 676 pp. Dordrecht: Springer, 2013. ISBN: 978-94-007-5439-3 (with Erkki J. Hollo and Kati Kulovesi).
- (ed.) Improving the Clean Development Mechanism: Options and Challenges Post-2012. 291 pp. Berlin: Lexxion, 2011. ISBN: 978-3-86965-023-4 (with Amy Merrill and Karl Upston-Hooper).
- (ed.) Bridging the Divide in Global Climate Policy: Strategies for Enhanced Participation and Integration. 208 pp. Berlin: Lexxion, 2009. ISBN: 978-3-86965-112-5 (with Michael Rodi).
- Rechtliche Ausgestaltung von Nutzungsentgelten für globale Umweltgüter. 271 pp. Berlin: Erich Schmidt Verlag, 2006. ISBN: 3-503-09773-2 (with Nils Meyer-Ohlendorf).
Journal Articles (Selection)
- “Frameworks for International Climate Cooperation: Assessing the Alternatives.” 4 Journal of International Organizations Studies (2013:1): 13-35.
- “Between Twilight and Renaissance: Changing Prospects for the Carbon Market.” 6 Carbon & Climate Law Review (2012:4): 277-290.
- “Beyond Déjà Vu: Opportunities for Policy Learning from Emissions Trading in Developed Countries.” 6 Carbon & Climate Law Review (2012:4): 291-305 (with Sonja Klinsky and Andreas Tuerk).
- “How Germany Became Europe’s Green Leader: A Look at Four Decades of Sustainable Policymaking.” 2 Solutions (2011): 51-63 (with Ralph Buehler, Arne Jungjohann, and Melissa Keeley).
- “Improving the Clean Development Mechanism Post-2012: A Developing Country Perspective.” 4 Carbon & Climate Law Review (2010:1): 76-85 (with Nhan T. Nguyen, Minh Ha-Duong, and Sandra Greiner).
- “Linking Carbon Markets: Concepts, Case Studies and Pathways.” 9 Climate Policy (2009): 341-357 (with Andreas Tuerk, Christian Flachsland, and Wolfgang Sterk).
- “Linking Existing and Proposed GHG Emissions Trading Schemes in North America.” 9 Climate Policy (2009): 373-388 (with Erik Haites).
- “Mechanisms for Linking Emissions Trading Schemes.” 9 Climate Policy (2009): 169-184 (with Erik Haites).
- “From Autonomy to Integration? International Law, Free Trade and the Environment.” 77 Nordic Journal of International Law (2008): 253-273 (with Anja Lindroos).
- “Global Climate Change and the Fragmentation of International Law.” 30 Law & Policy (2008): 423-449 (with Harro van Asselt and Francesco Sindico).
- “Das zukünftige Klimaschutz-Regime der Vereinten Nationen: Ein Wegweiser durch die Verhandlungsarchitektur.” 5 Europäisches Umwelt- und Planungsrecht (6:2007): 259-266 (with Camilla Bausch).
- “A Nutrient Quota Trading Scheme to Reduce the Eutrophication of the Baltic Sea.” 4 Journal for European Environmental & Planning Law (2007:4): 296-311 (with Karl Upston-Hooper).
- “Tracking Down the Future Climate Regime: An Assessment of Current Negotiations under the U.N.” 1 Carbon & Climate Law Review (2007:1): 4-16 (with Camilla Bausch).
- “The European Union and Climate Change: Leading the Way towards a Post-2012 Regime?” 1 Carbon & Climate Law Review (2007:1): 45-52 (with Leonardo Massai).
- “Breathing Life into the Carbon Market: Legal Frameworks of Emissions Trading in Europe” 16 European Environmental Law Review (2007:4): 96-115 (with Karoliina Anttonen and Karl Upston-Hooper).
- “Bridging the Transatlantic Divide: Legal Aspects of a Link between Regional Carbon Markets in Europe and the United States.” 7 Sustainable Development Law & Policy (2007:2): 46-52.
- “Germany: New Energy Tax – A Sign of Progress?” 44 Tax Notes International (2006): 267-269.
- “Klimagipfel in Montreal: Der Weg in eine zweigleisige Zukunft.” 17 Zeitschrift für Umweltrecht (2006:6): 291-295 (with Camilla Bausch).
- “‘Alive and Kicking’: The 1st Meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol.” 15 Review of European Community and International Environmental Law (2006): 193-201 (with Camilla Bausch).
- “Evolving Carbon Markets in the European Union – International Linkages and Lessons from Implementation (Review Essay).” 7 Yearbook of European Environmental Law (2005): 482-491.
- “Dispelling the Chimera of Self-Contained Regimes: International Law and the WTO.” 16 European Journal of International Law (2006): 857-877 (with Anja Lindroos).
- “Implementing the Kyoto Protocol in a Multidimensional Legal System: Lessons from a Comparative Assessment.” 15 Yearbook of International Environmental Law (2005): 3-79 (with Michael Rodi, Elizabeth Zelljadt and Janine Rechel).
- “Projektbezogene Mechanismen und ihre Einbindung in den europäischen Emissionshandel: Die 'Linking Directive'” 29 Zeitschrift für Energiewirtschaft (2005:1): 78-84.
- “Emissions Trading and National Allocation in the Member States: An Achilles Heel of European Climate Policy?” 5 Yearbook of European Environmental Law (2003): 113-156.
- “Betwixt Scylla and Charybdis? Effectiveness in International Environmental Law.” 13 Finnish Yearbook of International Law (2002): 129-182.
- “The Ecological Tax Reform in Germany.” 26 Tax Notes International (2000): 871-878.
Book Chapters and Articles in Edited Volumes (Selection)
- "Transparency of Climate Change Policies, Markets and Corporate Practices." In The Oxford Handbook of Economic and Institutional Transparency, edited by Jens Forssbaeck and Lars Oxelheim. New York: Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2014 (with Thomas L. Brewer).
- "The Changing Architecture of International Climate Change Law." In Research Handbook on Climate Change Mitigation Law, edited by Geert van Calster, Wim Vandenberghe, and Leonie Reins. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, forthcoming 2014 (with Harro van Asselt and Clarisse Kehler Siebert).
- “Germany's Ecological Tax Reform: A Retrospective.” In German Environmentalism in Transatlantic Perspective: A Multidisciplinary Approach, edited by Manuela Achilles. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- “Designing Environmental Taxes in Countries in Transition: A Case Study of Vietnam.” In Handbook of Research on Environmental Taxation, edited by Janet E. Milne and Mikael S. Andersen, 122-138. Northampton, Mass.: Edward Elgar, 2013 (with
Michael Rodi and Kai Schlegelmilch).
- “Implementing Climate Law: Instrument Choice and Interaction.” In Climate Change and the Law, edited by Erkki J. Hollo, Kati Kulovesi and Michael Mehling, 11-30. Dordrecht: Springer, 2013.
- “Alternative Venues of Climate Cooperation: An Institutional Perspective.” In Climate Change and the Law, edited by Erkki J. Hollo, Kati Kulovesi and Michael Mehling, 111-141. Dordrecht: Springer, 2013 (with Camilla Bausch).
- “Implementing the CDM in Vietnam: Potential and Limitations.” In Improving the Clean Development Mechanism: Options and Challenges Post-2012, edited by Michael Mehling, Amy Merrill and Karl Upston-Hooper, 221-246. Berlin: Lexxion, 2011 (with Nhan T. Nguyen, Minh Ha-Duong, and Sandra Greiner).
- “Enforcing Compliance in an Evolving Climate Regime.” In Promoting Compliance in an Evolving Climate Regime, edited by Jutta Brunnée, Meinhard Doelle and Lavanya Rajamani, 194-215. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- “Facing Climate Change across the Atlantic: How Far Apart are Europe and North America?” In Europe, Canada and the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement, edited by Kurt Hübner, 259-273. London: Routledge, 2011.
- “Cambio Climático.” In Derecho Internacional del Medio Ambiente, edited by Francesco Sindico, Rosa Fernández Egea and Susana Borrás Pentinat, 185-209. London: CMP Publishing, 2011 (with Arturo Brandt).
- “Energy, the Environment, and Price-Based Instruments: Environmental Taxes as a Tool for Energy Sustainability and Climate Policy.” In Realising the Paradigm Shift towards Energy Sustainability: Climate Change, Technological Innovation, and the Challenge of an Optimal Instrument Mix, edited by Michael Rodi, 49-64. Berlin: Lexxion, 2010 (with Kalle Määttä).
- “Pasado, Presente y Futuro del MDL: Propuestas para una Participación Equitativa.” In Un Nuevo Marco Legal para el Cambio Climático, edited by Pilar Moraga Sariego, 93-114. Santiago: Universidad de Chile, 2009 (with Arturo Brandt).
- “Linking of Emissions Trading Schemes.” In Legal Aspects of Carbon Trading: Kyoto, Copenhagen and Beyond, edited by David Freestone and Charlotte Streck, 108-133. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- “La Unión Europea y el Cambio Climático – Entre Ambición y Realidad.” In El cambio climático en el derecho internacional y comunitario, edited by Remiro Brotóns and Rosa M. Fernández Egea. 133-164. Bilbao: Fundación BBVA, 2009.
- “International Trade Policy in a World of Different Carbon Prices.” In Competitive Distortions and Leakage in a World of Different Carbon Prices: Trade, Competitiveness and Employment Challenges when Meeting the Post-2012 Climate Commitments in the European Union, edited by the European Parliament. 23-34. Strasbourg: European Parliament, 2008 (with Nils Meyer-Ohlendorf and Ralph Czarnecki).
- “Implementation of the Kyoto Protocol in Germany: Designing an Integrated Management Scheme for Greenhouse Gases.” In The Kyoto Protocol and Beyond: Legal and Policy Challenges of Climate Change, edited by Wybe Douma, Leonardo Massai, and Massimiliano Montini. 111-134. The Hague: T.M.C. Asser Press, 2007.
- “Energy and the Environment: The International Dimension.” In Instruments of Environmental Policy in Liberalized Energy Markets, edited by Michael Rodi. 31-48. Berlin: Lexxion, 2006.
- “European Emissions Trading and Environmental Regulation in the Member States: Irreconcilable Conflict?” In Strengthening European Environmental Law in an Enlarged Union, edited by Teresa Fajardo del Castillo, Christoph Holtwisch, and Tereza Tichá. 162-178. Aachen: Shaker, 2004.
Unpublished Reports and Policy Papers (Selection)
- Legal Implications of the EU-US Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) for the Acquis Communautaire and the ENVI Relevant Sectors that Could Be Addressed During Negotiations. Study for the European Parliament Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety. Doc. IP/A/ENVI/ST/2013-09. 53 pp. Brussels, Belgium: 2013 (with Christiane Gerstetter, Andrew Eberle, and Katherine Salès).
- International Experience with Emissions Trading. Working Paper for Climate Strategies. 17 pp. Cambridge, United Kingdom: 2013 (with Tim Laing).
- Emerging Carbon Markets: Experiences, Trends & Challenges. Working Paper for Climate Strategies. 36 pp. Cambridge, United Kingdom: 2013 (with Andreas Türk, Sonja Klinsky and Xin Wang).
- Addressing the Challenge of Global Climate Change Mitigation. An Assessment of Existing Venues and Institutions. 59 pp. Berlin: Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, 2011. ISBN 978-3-86872-867-5 (with Camilla Bausch).
- Alternative Frameworks for International Climate Cooperation: Country Positions in the Run Up to Durban. Report for the Project Coping with Complexity in the Evolving International Climate Policy Institutional Architecture (ICPIA), Österreichischer Klima- und Energiefonds. 26 pp. Vienna, Austria: 2011 (with Andreas Türk and Antonia Baker).
- Prospects for a Transatlantic Carbon Market: What Next After the US Midterm Elections? Working Paper for Climate Strategies. 26 pp. Cambridge, United Kingdom: 2011 (with Andreas Türk and Wolfgang Sterk).
- International Trade Policy in the Context of Climate Change Imperatives. Report for the European Parliament Committee on International Trade. 18 pp. Brussels, Belgium: 2010 (with Christiane Gerstetter and Tanja Srebotnjak).
- From »Brokenhagen« to »Cancún Can!« The Cancún Climate Summit and its Significance for Transatlantic Relations. Discussion Paper for the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung. 5 pp. Washington, D.C., United States: 2010.
- Transforming Economies through Green Investment: Needs, Progress, and Policies, Report for the German Marshall Fund of the United States. 38 pp. Washington, D.C., United States: 2010 (with Aaron Best, Dominic Marcellino, Michael Perry, and Katharina Umpfenbach).
- Global Carbon Market Institutions: An Assessment of Governance Challenges and Functions in the Carbon Market. Background Paper prepared for the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC). 45 pp. London, United Kingdom: 2009.
- Towards a Global Green Recovery – Supporting Green Technology Markets. Atlantic Task Force Recommendations to the Policy Planning Staff of the German Federal Foreign Office. 25 pp. Berlin, Germany: Atlantische Initiative: 2009 (as Task Force Member).
- Prospects of Linking EU and US Emission Trading Schemes: Comparing the Western Climate Initiative, the Waxman-Markey and the Lieberman-Warner Proposals. Working Paper for Climate Strategies. 36 pp. Cambridge, United Kingdom: 2009 (with Andreas Türk and Wolfgang Sterk).
- Linking the EU’s Emissions Trading System to any Future US Emissions Trading Scheme. Report for the European Parliament, Policy Department Economic and Scientific Policy. 70 pp. Brussels, Belgium: 2009 (with Jason Anderson and Harro van Asselt).
- Transatlantic Policy Options for Supporting Adaptations in the Marine Arctic. Report for the European Commission Directorate General for External Relations. 30 pp. Brussels, Belgium: 2009 (with Aaron Best, Sandra Cavalieri, Mark Jariabka, Timo Koivurova, and Erik J. Molenaar).
- Addressing Leakage and Competitiveness in US Climate Policy: Issues Concerning Border Adjustment Measures. Working Paper for Climate Strategies. 82 pp. Cambridge, United Kingdom: 2009 (with Harro van Asselt and Thomas Brewer).
- Climate Change and Energy Security: Lessons Learned. 71 pp. , 2008. ISBN: 1-933942-16-9 (with Joseph E. Aldy and Camilla Bausch).
- Support for the State Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) Legislation Department in Strengthening the Legal Framework of Public Interest Litigation in China. Research Report for the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ) GmbH, GTZ-SEPA Programme Office. 44 pp. Beijing, China: 2006 (with Peter Kessler and Dora Schaffrin).
- Legal Aspects of User Charges on Global Environmental Goods. Report for the German Federal Environment Agency (Umweltbundesamt). 258 pp. Dessau, Germany: 2006 (with Nils Meyer-Ohlendorf, Astrid Epiney and Stefan Klinski).
Conference Presentations and Papers (Selection)
Panelist. “Can Regulators Overcome Barriers to Linking Cap-and-Trade Programs?” Side Event, Resources for the Future (RFF), 19th Session of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP-19), Warsaw, Poland. November 18, 2013.
Panelist. “Nuts and Bolts of Linking.” Conference Carbon Forum North America. International Emissions Trading Association and Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES), Washington D.C., October 1, 2013.
“Defining the Scope and Coverage of an Emissions Trading System.” ICAP Training Course on Emissions Trading for Emerging Economies and Developing Countries. Istanbul Technical University (ITÜ), Istanbul, Turkey. September 20, 2013.
“Competitiveness: Concepts, Concerns, and Policy Responses.” Workshop Exploring Market-Based Approaches to Low Carbon Development in the State of Rio de Janeiro. World Bank Partnership for Market Readiness, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 27, 2013.
- “IMPACTS of Emissions Trading on Energy Intensive Industries (EII) and Industrial Restructuring –
Lessons Learned from the EU ETS for South Korea.” Korea Environment Institute (KEI), Seoul, Korea. May 21, 2013.
- Panelist. A Conversation on the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership and the Clean Energy Economy. Cultural Vistas, New York, N.Y. April 25, 2013.
- “Lessons from the European Union Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) and System Review.” Conference UK Low Carbon Week, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China, March 20, 2013.
- Panelist. “Can We Avoid a Transatlantic ‘Carbon Trade War’? Defusing the Crisis over Aviation Emissions.” Transatlantic Roundtable Aviation and Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Identifying a Transatlantic and Global Solution. German Marshall Fund of the United States and Heinrich Böll Foundation, Brussels, Belgium. October 11, 2012.
- Panelist. “Energy & the Environment.” Conference Europe in a Nutshell—Will it Crack? Brigham Young University Center for the Study of Europe, Provo, Ut. September 28, 2012.
- Panelist. “Instrumentos económicos para el clima.” Conference Segundo Diálogo Alianza Mexicana-Alemana de Cambio Climático. Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (SEMARNAT), Instituto Nacional de Ecología (INE), Mexico City, D.F., September 25, 2012.
- “Issues of Resource Sustainability in the Atlantic Basin.” Workshop The Rising Importance of the Atlantic Hemisphere. Center for Transatlantlic Relations, Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Washington, D.C. September 13, 2012.
- Panelist. “Climate Change.” International Conference on Civil Society Contributions to Policy Innovation in the PR China. China Association for NGO Cooperation (CANGO), Beijing, China. May 10, 2012.
- Keynote Presentation. “Los incentivos económicos de corto y largo plazo para la protección del medio ambiente: El caso de Alemania.” Conference La Cumbre de la Tierra Río+20: Las Implicancias para el Desarrollo de Chile. U.N. Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), Santiago, Chile. April 18, 2012.
- “Developments in Renewable Energy and Climate Policy.” Conference National Farmers Union 110th Anniversary Convention, Omaha, Nebr., United States. March 6, 2012.
- Moderator. “Systemintegration erneuerbarer Energien.” Conference 3. Deutsch-Amerikanische Energietage: Global Energy Challenges – Transatlantic Business Opportunities, Haus der Deutschen Wirtschaft, Berlin, Germany. May 12, 2011.
- “Between Unilateral and Multilateral Climate Policy: Priorities for a Future Climate Policy Architecture.” Workshop Coping with Complexity in the Evolving International Climate Policy Institutional Architecture, Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO), Vienna, Austria. April 8, 2011.
- “Merging Climate Efforts: Inside or Outside the UN System?” Side Event, International Emissions Trading Association (IETA), 16th Session of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP-16), Westin Resort, Cancún, Mexico. December 9, 2010.
- “U.S. Climate Policy after the Midterm Elections and Implications for Cancún.” Workshop European Carbon Market - Emission Trading, Carbon Leakage and Instruments for Stabilising CO2-Prices (ETCLIP), Corvinus University, Budapest, Hungary. November 16, 2010.
- Moderator. “Energy Infrastructure – How the U.S. and Germany Will Lead by Example.” Conference German American Energy Forum, Newseum, Washington D.C., United States. October 14, 2010.
- “Energy Economics and Policy.” Canada-Germany Forum Shaping Future Energy Supplies, Technologies and Policies, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. October 4, 2010.
- “Between Legislation and Regulation: Climate Policy in the U.S.” Conference 3rd Berlin Climate Law Conference: From Bonn to Cancún and Beyond - New Dimensions in Climate Regulation, International Club Berlin (ICB), Berlin, Germany. June 17, 2010.
- “The EU's Emission’s Trading Scheme.” Conference Climate Change Policy: Lessons from the European Experience, Center for European Studies, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J., United States. March 26, 2010.
- “Update on North American Carbon Trading Initiatives.” GLOBE 2010, The GLOBE Foundation, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. March 24, 2010.
- “Towards Sustainable Recovery.” Conference Mapping the Future of the EU-US Partnership: Policy and Research Perspectives, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium. January 25, 2010.
- “Green Infrastructure, Transportation, Energy and Transatlantic Learning.” 10th National Conference on Science, Policy and the Environment The New Green Economy, Reagan Building, Washington, D.C., United States. January 22, 2010.
- “Governance Challenges and Functions in the Global Carbon Market.” Side Event Developing Carbon Markets Post-2012: New Approaches and Institutional Options, 15th Session of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP-15), Bella Center, Copenhagen, Denmark. December 11, 2009.
- “The Future Outlook & Post-2012 Discussion.” Conference Carbon Markets USA, Reagan Building, Washington, D.C., United States. September 22, 2009.
- “Global Climate Policy Debate: Preparing for the Post-2012 World and Discussing the US’s Potential Role.” Conference Carbon Finance North America 2009, Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers, New York, N.Y., United States. June 11, 2009.
- “Competitiveness of Industry Subject to Import or Export Markets.” International Research Seminar and Policy Dialogue Two Critical Issues on the Road to Copenhagen: Competitiveness and Offsets, Embassy of Sweden, Washington, D.C., United States. April 22, 2009.
- “Linking the EU ETS to a Future US Emissions Trading Scheme.” Briefing, European Parliament, Brussels, Belgium. March 4, 2009.
- “The European Economic Recovery Plan.” Workshop Clean Energy Stimulus, Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C., United States. February 24, 2009.
- “An Environmental Tax Law for Vietnam: Recommendations from ETV2.” Workshop Fiscal Policy and Legal Advisory Services, European Technical Assistance Programme for Vietnam (ETV2), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. December 5, 2008.
- “The New U.S. Climate Policy and Europe’s Expectations.” Conference Transatlantic Energy Forum, Center for Strategic International Studies, Washington, D.C., United States. October 30, 2008.
- “Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten eines Grenzsteuerausgleichs – Gegenwärtige Vorschläge und rechtliche Bewertung.” Workshop Der Grenzsteuerausgleich aus WTO-rechtlicher und ökonomischer Sicht, Federal Environment Agency, Berlin, Germany. September 15, 2008 (with Nils Meyer-Ohlendorf).